2 bunches of green asparagus
8 quail eggs
150g of white breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
100g of plain flour
- Trim the ends from the asparagus and blanch in salted, boiling water for 2 minutes. Refresh in iced water, drain and place on kitchen paper to dry
- Bring a large, deep pan of unsalted water to a gentle simmer (not rapidly boiling or the egg will separate).
- Add a couple of tablespoons of white wine vinegar.
- Crack the eggs into ramekins.
- Tip the egg gently into the water.
- Cook for 1 ½ – 2 minutes and gently lift out with a slotted spoon.
- Touch the yolk of the egg – it should be firm, if not return to the pan for another 30 seconds.
- Prepare 3 bowls for coating, then dredge the eggs through each in turn. (Flour, egg, breadcrumbs) Set aside until ready to use
- Shallow-fry the asparagus in some butter until just starting to colour. Deep-fry the eggs at 180°C until golden brown.
- Serve each egg next to the asparagus spears and spoon over the lemon dressing.