200g sirloin steak (fat removed, cut into strips)
2 tbsp oil
4 tbsp curry paste (see below)
400ml coconut milk
4 kaffir lime leaves, stem removed
4 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp palm sugar
2 red chillies
10 sweet basil leaves
- Place the oil in a frying pan, add the curry paste and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the beef and fry for about 30 seconds. Add the coconut milk and three of the kaffir lime leaves.
- Add the fish sauce and the sugar.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes until the oil comes out, then add most of the sweet basil leaves and stir.
- Remove from the heat and serve garnished with a shredded kaffir lime leaf, the remaining basil leaves and the sliced chillies.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Panang Curry Paste
1½ tsp coriander seeds, roasted
1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
4 cardamom pods, roasted
4 pieces of mace, roasted
8–10 large red dried chillies, seeds removed and soaked in water
1 tbsp coriander root or coriander stalks, chopped
1 tbsp galangal, peeled and chopped
1 lemongrass stick, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 banana shallot, chopped
1 tsp shrimp paste (optional)
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- Combine the cumin seeds, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, mace and cardamom pods in the pestle and mortar and grind them into a powder.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pound into a smooth paste.